Permaculture Northern Beaches joins the Plastic Free July challenge!
The plastic bottles, bags and takeaway containers that we use for just a few minutes use a material that is designed to last forever. Every bit of plastic ever made still exists!
- Break up, not break down – becoming permanent pollution
- Are mostly downcycled (made into low-grade product for just one more use) or sent to landfill
- ‘Escape’ from bins, trucks, events etc. to become ‘accidental litter’
- End up in waterways and the ocean – where scientists predict there will be more tonnes of plastic than tonnes of fish by 2050
- Transfer to the food chain – carrying pollutants with them
- Increase our eco-footprint – plastic manufacturing consumes 6% of the world’s fossil fuels
Be part of the solution, by:
- Refusing plastic bags and packaging (choose alternatives)
- Reducing where possible (opt for refills, remember your reusable shopping bags)
- Refusing plastics that escape as litter (e.g. straws, takeaway cups, utensils, balloons)
- Recycling what cannot be avoided.
Register to join 100,000 Australians and a million+ people worldwide stepping up in Plastic Free July in 2018. www.plasticfreejuly.org