At this time of year when our immune systems can often benefit from some extra loving care and attention, why not head to the kitchen and make yourself and your family this delicious, hot and spicy nutrient packed Tumeric and Ginger+ Tea and keep those pesky cold and flu bugs away.
In winter our immune systems can often benefit from a good boost of nutrients to help ward off those pesky coughs, colds and flu. I love to make this delicious hot and spicy restorative drink for my family that’s packed with anti-inflammatory ingredients such as turmeric and ginger. These powerful, potent spices assist our body to eliminate toxins, stimulate circulation, aid digestion and boost immune function. I like to add lots of lemon juice, raw honey and sometimes cinnamon and black pepper corns.
INGREDIENTS - Makes 2 cups
- Juice of 1 lemon,
- 1 inch (ish) piece of grated fresh tumeric or half teaspoon of powdered turmeric (or to taste)
- 1 inch piece (ish) of grated fresh ginger or half teaspoon of powdered ginger (or to taste)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Cinnamon (optional)
- 6 peppercorns or to taste (optional)
- 2 Tbs raw honey (or to taste)
These are the two ways that I like to make this drink -
Method 1. Place all ingredients into a mug and cover with boiling water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes then drink and don't forget to eat the spices at the bottom too...yum!!
Method 2. Place all ingredients into a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes or so then pour into a mug. This will be a slightly stronger than above. I often make up a big batch with this method and keep in a large jar in the fridge. We just heat up the amount we need whenever we fancy some.
Here's what makes this drink so healthy -
- Tumeric’s active ingredient Cumerin is responsible for its distinct yellow colouring and is one of the most effective anti-inflammatories around. The health benefits of Tumeric are almost endless. It is a nutritional powerhouse and is one of the best things you can put in your body to prevent and treat cold and flu. Naturally anti-viral and antiseptic, this traditionally used spice works wonders on our immune system, liver and overall health.
- Ginger has potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It helps to boost immune function and combat cellular damage, relieves a sore throat and loosens up congestion due to a cold and promotes sweating which is one of the best ways to get rid of toxins.
- Lemons are naturally antibacterial and rich in vitamin C and flavonoids. This powerful, yet gentle citrus acts as a strong defence against germs promoting overall health and wellbeing. Definitely not to be missed off the list for colds and flu.
- Raw honey (liquid gold), has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties. It promotes body and digestive health, is a powerful antioxidant, strengthens the immune system, eliminates allergies, and is an excellent remedy for all types of infections. Raw honey is also an expectorant and anti-inflammatory and has been known to effectively treat respiratory conditions such as bronchitis and asthma.
- Cinnamon is also naturally antibacterial and anti-fungal. This warming spice stimulates circulation and increases the elimination of toxins.
- Black Pepper is widely used in traditional Indian medicine, and as well as having many other health benefits, it is also used as a home remedy for the relief from sore throat, throat congestion, and coughs etc.
The best way to drink this divine cocktail of nutritional delights is to sit quietly and mindfully in a warm place and notice your body thanking you as you experience each and every delicious healing sip!
Julie Gundlach has been qualified in many areas of health and wellbeing for over 20 years including Advanced Classical Herbal Medicine, Clinical Aromatherapy and Psychotherapy.